My Photo
Name:
Location: Montana, United States

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Jizzy to tha Tizzy

Ever since Sean William Scott (Stiffler from American Pie) and Justin Timberlake hosted the MTV Movie Awards in like 2003 or 2004, I think, I've only referred to the former *N'SYNCer (That's right. Don't be forgettin' that Asterisk.) as Jizzy Tizzy (at least when I can help it). No, I did not come out of the gate a Jizzy fan. It was a long and arduous journey. I'm serious. "Rock Your Body" pissed me off for a long time. But then, the straw (or SNL sketch, as it were) broke the camel's back.

"Cry Me a River" is a great song, even if it takes you looking up the lyrics on the internet before you really "understand" the chorus. (Psst: "You don't have to say / what you did / I already know / I found out from / HIM!") Screw the Britney look-a-like in the video. It's a down-ass video. So is every other video he puts out. (Yes, I am completely aware of all those double-entendres.)

He wasn't so impressive until I saw him on SNL. The show was just funny. It was completely brilliant. Everyone I knew around that time was forced to watch it on VHS from when I taped it during its re-run in September of '04. The kid "popped out performing"--not my words, his on his recent interview with Jay Leno. Yes, on SNL he did double-duty, performing in sketches and his own music, with a live-version of "Cry Me a River" to die for. You can always tell it's a brilliant live show when it takes you a good 30 seconds to recognize one of the most overplayed songs in America. (I do not lie, not until he started in with "You were my sun. . ." did I figure it out.) So someday, I'll have to see that boy live.

For those of you who missed that SNL, you missed Justin as Ashton Kutcher (getting him back for the Punk'd where he cried and called his mom), Jessica Simpson ("For reals y'all"), the Omelleteville Omellete, Sully's little brother (the pyro), Michael Bolton, singing with Kermit the Frog, and as Robin Gibb (which he reprised when Cameron Diaz hosted a year later). Here's a lucky SNL find, Jizzy as the Omellete:




ANYWAY, all this just because I bought his new CD and I'm listening to it right now. And you know what, it is what it's called: Future Sex/Love sounds. Meaning, I think he's making music before it's time. He has taken what he's doing to the next level, grown as an artist. (That's right, artist.) He's taking something from everyone on this record. And his videos are still out of control. I mean, look, there's the next step in the way of American popular music and he's taking it. Yes Timbaland. Yes Three-6-Mafia. These are great collaborations for him. He really is making brilliant business and musical choices with this album. I don't think everyone will get it, which is fine. I'm not even claiming that I completely "get it," but he's just gull-durn great in my book.

And here's the off-the-hook "My Love" video. I would draw the comparison to MJ, but why? It's been done so many times before.



What this all boils down to: Jizzy Tizzy is an artist. And I love me some real, honest-to-god artists.


**EDIT** Yes, yes yes! I found the live version of "Cry Me a River" on SNL (or a friend did, actually). And so, okay, it's only about 7 seconds before he starts singing, but you will see what I mean about it being "unrecognizable". The boy understands music. He gets arrangement. You can't fake the way he performs. On his most recent appearance on Jay Leno, he mentioned that he was a work-aholic, and maybe that's how you get to be this confident. I'm not sure.

Posted By:Brett

Get this video and more at MySpace.com

And, I will relent and admit that Jizzy is responsible for the current McDonald's themesong "I'm Lovin' it". But no matter what, he knows how to entertain. Here's another vid, him tearing it up on Jay Leno dancing to "Like I Love You". It starts a bit slow but just be patient. :) You can tell it's gonna be a great set when they clear off the band stage for him. Until I find something different, Marty Kudelka was his choreographer on this. . . (You'd think it would be easier to find info like that on the internet, but alas, no luck.) I think what really gets me about the whole performing live thing is that it's LIVE, which means (like theater) it changes every time. It's just refreshing when an artist purposefully makes sure that he tries new things (via dance moves, music arrangements, etc.). Sure, not all of them will hit, but they'll all be interesting.



THE END. Until I find some other great video featuring Jizzy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Jizzy is fab! I'm going on YouTube to find more videos. I want to see how he shakes it in Sexy Back.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was Heather, by the by.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Woolfian Feminist said...

I'm glad that Jizzy is rocking your world! :) It helps stop the cycle of pain and it's important to stop it... I will have to hear more of Jizzy before I can form an opinion... although I really liked the visuals in the video that you posted... very jazzy dance (which I am partial to liking).

11:48 PM  
Blogger LRuggiero_temp said...

Yes, Jizzy is rocking my world. Anyone reading our comments about stopping the cycle of pain and torment will think we're in like physically abusive relationships or something. Sigh. So is life at that Must-Not-Be-Named University.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home