My Photo
Name:
Location: Montana, United States

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Bones article from TheRecord.com

Here's the link: http://news.therecord.com/arts/article/342077

In sum, this is about a reporter guy who interviewed D. Boreanaz and mentioned that Bones was "on the bubble" (which, for all intents and purposes, simply is NOT true). Then, this other reporter guy wrote an article about it, referring to the fact that D. Boreanaz overreacted to the comment because the show is on the bubble (which, still, is simply NOT true).

After reading poorly defined thesis statements and poorly integrated outside sources/references in quite a few papers today, I am enjoying seeing the same thing published on a fairly reputable site on the internets. Here is the gist of why this article is hilarious:

PART I: The Boreanaz reaction, which is much like my reaction to many of my students inclusion of outside sources into their papers.

Midway through a conference call with David Boreanaz -- who plays the boisterously unschooled FBI agent on Bones (8 p.m. Monday on Fox, Global) -- one of my critical colleagues makes the mistake of referring to the crime drama with the Moonlighting twist as "a bubble show," implying that if ratings don't improve, it could be toast.

"I'm sorry," Boreanaz responds testily. "You say our show is on the bubble?"

I'm not, the anonymous journalist insists, but I've read a few things.

"Where did you read that?" demands the easily riled actor, also the show's co-producer.

The critic, a bit surprised by the reaction, says he can't remember.

"Well you can't just throw something like that out there," snips Boreanaz like a high-school teacher chewing out a negligent student. "If you're saying our show is in trouble, I'd love to know the source of that one. I mean, you can't just say to me the show is on the bubble and you read it and you don't know where it came from!"

The poor sap, trying to diffuse things, claims his "bubble" comment came from many different sources.

"Well, it must be a pretty big source to say that to an actor on a show!" grouses Boreanaz, heading into overdrive. "Or for me to say 'Your column is being cancelled!' and then you ask me where I read that and I say 'I read a lot of things!' . . . (silently fuming) . . . I don't get that question!"

The journalist, mortified and mute, says nothing and the line goes dead for what seems an eternity.

Finally, Boreanaz, satisfied he's made his point, collects himself. "But, I mean, to answer your question, I don't think the show is 'on the bubble'. It's a very successful show. We're a cult show that thrives on relationships and we've proven if we're on Wednesday or Tuesday or Friday or even Monday that our fans will follow us. If I hear any different, like you're telling me, then I'd have to investigate that."

PART II: TheRecord journalist misinterpreting the actor's words.

It's always amusing when actors lose their cool in front of the media, revealing their own insecurities and emotional hot buttons in the process. In this case, we can assume, Boreanaz is worried about renewal prospects for a critically admired show that scores respectable ratings but has yet to morph into an across-the-board hit. Constant shuffling around the TV schedule hasn't helped. . .

If I were him, I'd be rethinking that strategy in a hurry. Rent them a room and get it over with. If it really is on the bubble, anything else will virtually guarantee the next thing Bones fans hear will be the sound of their favourite show going "pop."

1 Comments:

Blogger The Prufroquette said...

Um, I hate this article.

First, let me say that I am strongly inclined to believe that the "interviewer" and the "columnist" are one and the same guy and he's third-personned the interview to save himself some face. Who doesn't write their own interviews?

Second, Love Boreanaz' reaction. The "columnist" was being a bit testy himself in reporting Boreanaz' deportment toward the "interviewer." Defensive much? "Interviewer" says something stupid and gets called out on it. How is that Boreanaz' fault?

Third, "rent them a room"?? Quoi? The show THRIVES on the extension of the non-sexual relationship charged vibrantly with all kinds of (healthy) sexual undertones between Brennan and Booth. Besides which, instead of the usual tawdry partner-swapping brief empty affairs that predominate most television dramas, particularly crime shows where said affairs function as a mockery of character development attempting to boost an otherwise boringly repetitive formula, this show successfully develops a relationship of mutual love and trust between the main characters which I find to be both nourishing and encouraging.

But of course, the "columnist" wanted to get his digs in for Boreanaz' insult to the "interviewer."

Boy, that "interviewer" and the "columnist" must be really close, to defend each other so fervently.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home